The drug and opioid epidemic has been an issue in this country for many years and has progressively worsened over last 20 years.
The recent COVID-19 pandemic has only exacerbated the issue with staggering statistics trending upward at even greater rates:
- An estimated 130 Americans die every day from an opioid overdose
- Drug overdose deaths in the USA have more than tripled since 1990
- From 1999 to 2018, more than 800,000 Americans died from overdosing on a drug
- An estimated 775,000 Americans regularly use methamphetamines and approximately 16,000 of them are between the ages of 12 and 17
- Almost 21 million Americans have at least one addiction, yet only 10% of them receive treatment
While this is a difficult subject to discuss, it is clear that substance abuse and addiction impacts all communities and demographics. As an organization we must do our part to support our fellow brothers and sisters and assist in the fight against abuse and addiction.
The Supreme Lodge is proposing a fundraiser to support research, treatment and awareness on substance addiction; and has set a fundraising goal of $5,000 to be reached by May 2021. If each chapter donates only $200 towards this cause, we will easily surpass our goal!
We ask that members participate in this effort by either choosing to donate to a local community organization or research facility which assists in helping those who suffer from addiction; or sending their raised funds directly the Supreme Lodge – who will then donate as an organization to the American Society of Addiction Medicine. If chapters choose to donate to a local organization, we simply ask that you inform the Brotherhood, so we can accurately report on the cumulative efforts of our members.
Donations can be made through PayPal on our website (https://pan-icarian.com/product/donate/) or mailing a check directly to Supreme Treasurer Evangelos Fragos (8101 Yellow Daisy Dr., Wilmington, NC 28412). In the memo of the check and PayPal order please include “Drug Addiction Fundraiser”.
Thank you for your support and your consideration of this worthy effort.
The Supreme Lodge